Updated: Feb 25, 2021
With life ever so changing times, it’s hard to keep up with our daily task. Between working
our 9 to 5, cooking, cleaning, & home schooling our lives are pretty busy leaving little room for self. I truly wish I could go back in time and cook like my ancestors, everything fresh from the garden and my 9 to 5 was just caring for the family & my home. But back to reality, it’s not. So since multitasking is a must these days I have adapted my life during this pandemic (as so many others) to change with the times.
Box meals are quick and pretty simple to make. This helps with time management, but why
can’t you take a boxed meal and make it into your own. Mmh!! That’s what I do…………
With a few simple added or substituted ingredients you can turn a simple boxed meal into a
Appliances or Equipment
One of my favorite appliances to use is my handy dandy crockpot or a more common name slow cooker. There are several different styles & brands to choose from. Some even have timers on them. Since I work from home I chose the brand Crock Pot the original slow cooker with only 3 temperatures low – high – warmer. I find this brand works well for me and for meals that need a little more attention. This one is prices as low as $25 (new) or you can find one at a yard sale for the low - low. Slow cookers give you versatility and can bring the fun back into the kitchen bringing out your creative side. Being a mom and grandmother I never know how many will show up for dinner.
Serves: 8 to 12 Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 5 hours Total Time: 5:15
Chicken broth (1 container 32oz box or 2 lbs)
Cream of chicken Soup (2 cans 0.5oz each)
Chicken (5 Large chicken breast)
Chicken flavored Rice or Wild Rice (1 box for larger family 2 boxes or 2 cups)
Mushrooms (dice to preferred size)
Bell Peppers (1/2 bell pepper)
Celery (3 stalks)
Carrots 3 (Chopped/diced/ I prefer shredded)
Crockpot or stove top (recommend crockpot/slow cooker)
1. Add chicken and water (enough to cover chicken) to slow cooker. I prefer to use lean
2. Let cook on low for 4 hours
3. Remove chicken from broth and shred or cut to desired cube size.
4. Next add cream of chicken soup to slow cooker. Mix until blended.
5. Add chicken and dice vegetables (Onions, bell peppers, celery, carrots, & mushroom)
into the slow cooker.
6. Boil until desired tenderness.
7. Your density of soup will be thick. Add chicken broth for desired density of broth (thick
or thin) depending on your preference. Bring to a boil.
8. Prepare 1 cup of wild or brown rice following directions on the packaging. I use chicken
9. Last add your choice of rice to the slow cooker. Mix well (I prefer chicken flavor).
10. Note: If you add uncooked rice into your soup it may become gummy or sticky (some
prefer this) But if so add uncooked rice into soup mix. Let cook for 30 minutes in slow
cooker stir frequently on low until desired tenderness.